Schuyler has emailed an update on their plans for a premium RSV. In late September, they raised the possibility of publishing a Quentel version of the RSV (in options with and without the Apocrypha/Deuterocanonical books). Many thanks to a reader for sharing the email text below:
Schuyler has embarked on a project to publish an RSV Quentel sometime in mid 2021. We are about 95% sure this project will go forward. This Bible will be available with the Apocrypha. The RSV Quentel will come with a traditional Schuyler Quentel edge-lined binding, art gilt edging, natural grain goatskin etc.
We’ve been asked why we have decided to embark on this project since the RSV has been superseded by the NRSV (mainline) on the one hand and the ESV (evangelical)on the other. Here are a few reasons:
- The RSV is an exceedingly accurate and elegant translation. It had long been considered among the most accurate translations.
- The RSV is the “father” of both the NRSV and RSV. Many people used this translation for ~ 40-50 years before arrival of the NRSV or ESV.
- There are very few current publications of the RSV.
- There are no RSV Bibles in print with a reference system.
- The RSV uses thee, thou, lest, art, thy and other classical English expressions no longer found in modern translations.
- The RSV predates gender modification of nouns/pronouns.
- The RSV also contains the Apocrypha.